Thursday, December 29, 2011

New Working Tray Added to Worm Bin

OK, folks, I'm adding a new working tray to the vermicomposter today. The biggest challenge was to keep the messiness at bay.  The layering system on the new tray starts with food as the trick is for the worms to smell new food and migrate upwards as they finish the food in the first tray.  Therefore, the food has to go on the bottom....but the bottom is full of holes to allow migration....oh boy... and so I put some shredded packing material (thank you Rebecca) in first to minimize leakage. I then added foodscraps, eggshells, tea bags and leaves and coffeegrounds, the coir and pumice and the skeleton of my rosemary plant.  Sadly, (after two years of successfully overwintering in a pot) it's allotted time on this earth ran out. I got some fallen oak leaves and grass clippings from the yard to add to the bedding material and topped everything off with shredded newspapers and wet sheets of newspaper.  I kept the tray in a plastic kitchen bag while I was doing this and have transported it to the library successfully.  So here goes... I'm really looking forward to using the finished vermicompost this spring which I understand to be "black gold."

No comments:

Post a Comment